For online publication only at epiphanyzine.com.
A short story doesn't have to be long to break your heart or change your life. We are looking to publish devastating short fiction, a thousand words or less in any category or genre, that can be read in one giant gulp.
The name of Epiphany magazine derives from the Joycean idea that an epiphany is the moment when “the soul of the commonest object… seems to us radiant.” Like the semicolon in our logo, an epiphany is a pause in time followed by a shift in thinking. Like the semicolon, an epiphany can consist of a confluence between two ideas. Like the semicolon, an epiphany is both a part of language and outside of it.
1. Submit one piece at a time.
2. Format in 12-pt font, double-spaced.
3. 1000 words or less.
4. Tell us if you're submitting simultaneously to other publications (and please withdraw promptly through Submittable should your work be accepted elsewhere).
5. We only consider previously unpublished work.
6. Please include your name, title, and word count on the first page of the submitted file.
We pay $25 for flash fiction that we publish online.
Discounted 1-year subscriptions ($20) are available upon submission, as an add-on item at the payment stage.
We aim to respond to submissions within three to four months, ideally much sooner. Please be patient: we give thoughtful and thorough consideration to each submission. We look forward to receiving your work!